February 10, 2013

pti anniversary: valentine’s treat

On day five of Papertrey’s sixth anniversary celebration, Nichole challenged us to “create some type of wrap, tag or gift packaging project that is inspired by a photo you found on Pinterest or another site.”  I hadn’t planned to participate today since I had quite a bit of snow to shovel and needed to finish my religious ed class prep, but that changed when I read the challenge. Part of my prep was to put together the Valentine’s treat for my class, so here I am. (Timing, as they say, is everything.)

The pencils that Dawn used in her Tremendous Treats: Valentine post  are adorable, so I stopped at Target last week and picked up a couple of packages. While there I bought a few sweet treats, too, remembering that I had some bags from when Brianna was little (probably from about 15 years ago) that would be cute and easy packaging. A Crate Paper post featuring tags created by Rebecca Luminarias was my inspiration with the fabulous mix of patterned papers. I used a Fillable Frames #9 die cut as the base for the layered bits and pieces of my tag.

My muscles were put to the test today and failed. The driveway is cleared, but my back and arms are hurting. It’s time for me to get close and personal with my heating pad.


February 7, 2013

pti anniversary celebration day 2

On day two of Papertrey’s sixth anniversary celebration, we were given printables to use on a card. I chose to work with Heather’s small version of her birthday graphic.

I should have used kraft paper since this is Heather’s design, but Echo Park’s This & That Graceful called out to me. It is interesting to see the many different versions of cards that have been created with the printables. You should check them out.


February 6, 2013

mim#103: hello

Betsy Veldman provided the video for this week’s Make It Monday, the diecut double-up. Although I used Spellbinders for the die cut portion of the challenge, the stamps and card base are from PTI.

Danni Reid is the first person that I noticed using negative die cuts last year. What caught my eye was the way that patterned paper could play an extra role in the design when used to fill the open space. Because I have a weak spot for patterned paper, this approach is one that calls to me.


February 4, 2013

moxie fab world challenge: background paper

After watching a video by Shannon Tidwell, Two Peas 213 in 2013, I wanted to try machine stitching to give a textured background. [Just a little side note. I won a sewing contest when I was in junior high school. I made a really cute tunic dress using a turquoise plaid fabric. Each seam had the pattern perfectly lined up. So, even knowing I can sew, I often wonder, “Why I am so hesitant to stitch on a paper project?”]

The adorable arrow stamp from the Studio Calico Woodbrooke Road kit  was a must use for this card. I stitched a grid then embossed the arrow image to create the background paper.  

The colors were from the final CR84FN challenge. I missed the challenge, but wanted to use the colors to pay homage to Mona and her DT for giving us two years of a great challenge blog. It didn’t hurt that the colors worked for what I had in mind for the design. (Just being honest here.) And do you see the thin frames of aqua paper? Those are the remains from an October Afternoon label sticker sheet. That idea is courtesy of Anna-Maria Wolniak. Love it.

In addition to being for my sister-in-law, this card is for the Moxie Fab World Make Your Own Background Paper Challenge. I had fun making this one.


February 3, 2013

what’s up?

This card originated with a Two Peas CHA Challenge to include three trends on a project. A timely Sunday Sketch from Studio Calico worked fabulously with the trends I wanted to use – arrows, wood veneer and washi tape. I started with the chevron tape and built the card from there ending up with a much brighter card than expected. It's a fun one, though, good for bringing out a smile.

While the card was on my desk, I recalled the Moxie Fab World Use 10 Embellishments Challenge. The only problem was that there were eight embellishments on the card, not ten. Thankfully, this was a fairly easy fix with the addition of two gems. The best part is that I still like the card even being more blinged out.